Alive and Schticking is the 1st episode of the eighth season and 171st overall.
Will reveals to Grace that Karen's husband Stan is still alive. He learned this from his former boss, Malcolm, a secret agent, who told him that Stan is now living under seclusion and faked his death because of troubles with the mob. Will makes Grace promise that she keep this information to herself, but she breaks the promise and tells Jack. When Malcolm later visits Will at his apartment and warns him to not to tell people about Stan's predicament, Karen and Rosario also arrive. At meeting Karen, Malcolm becomes fond of her, as does Karen of him, even asking him out on a date, to which he accepts. Will, however, tells Malcolm that he cannot date Karen because Malcolm is still protecting Stan from the mob.
Meanwhile, Grace and Jack are discussing their own problems. Grace uses Jack's promiscuous history with married men as a legitimate reason to have an affair with a married man, but Jack tells her to forget about it as both of them are the moral role models to their friends. After being honest with her, Jack confesses that the reason he is wearing an eye patch is not because he got glitter in his eye, as he told his friends. When he refused to stop his singing performance during the debut of his new talk show, Jack Talk, even though the entire set had accidentally been set on fire, his eyebrow was burnt off. Later, Will, Grace, and Jack all decide that it would be for the best to let Karen know the truth about Stan. Will breaks the news to her, but Karen believes he is joking. Rosario tells Karen that Stan is not dead, as she has been giving him reports on Karen. At the admission, Karen fires Rosario and leaves Will's apartment with Malcolm, explaining that Stan may be alive, but that he is still dead to her.
- Eric McCormack as Will Truman
- Debra Messing as Grace Adler
- Megan Mullally as Karen Walker
- Sean Hayes as Jack McFarland
- Shelley Morrison as Rosario Salazar
- Live Season 8 Premiere.
- This episode takes place entirely in Will's apartment and the hallway outside.
- Megan hurt her ankle while dancing at home, so Karen's part had to be re-written to accommodate her inability to walk without crutches.
- Jack and Grace have a lot of interaction in this episode. During both live performances, Debra and Sean broke character and got the giggles several times.
- Malcolm gets a last name in this episode, Widmark.
- This was the first live episode that James Burrows had ever directed.
I am just going to close my eyes and do whatever I want. Oh, hey, I'm George Bush! — Grace
|Will:||Your package is dripping.|
|Malcolm:||What can I say? I like her.|
|Will:||No, I meant the ice cream sandwiches!|
|Malcolm:||Will-- I didn't want to have to play this card, but if you keep this up, I'm coming after your family. [PULLS OUT A PHOTO AND HOLDS IT UP.]|
|Will:||That's the Partridge Family.|
|Malcolm:||...Would you be upset if they died?|