While shopping for Jack's birthday party, Grace runs into Sam, Will's brother whom he had been estranged to after Will told him not to marry his then-fiancee Ginny. She invites him to the party and he reluctantly agrees.
- Eric McCormack (Will Truman)
- Debra Messing (Grace Adler)
- Sean Hayes (Jack McFarland)
- Megan Mullally (Karen Walker)
- Sam's first appearance. He is first referred to during the pilot as Will's brother who had cut him off his life. Sam appears again during the final season and is portrayed by Steven Weber.
- Will mentions his nephew he had never met because of his fight with Sam. This nephew is Jordan Truman who makes his appearance in A Little Christmas Queer.
- John O'Brien who appears as a salesperson in this episode would later appear again in season 6 as a patron of Happy Noodles.
- Grace mentions her Aunt Pescha. She mentions her again in Fear and Clothing.
- Jack impersonates "Cher circa 1978" while standing in front of a big bundle of bushy wheat. This is a reference to the singer's spiky hairdo during that era, especially in her highly publicized appearance at the 58th Academy Awards.
- Jack's line "my daughter's a what?" is a parody of Cher's reaction to her eldest child Chaz Bono coming out as a lesbian in 1986.
- Will blames Alanis Morisette's album being reduced on her "thanking India". Morisette released the 1998 song "Thank U" after her vacation to India and actually became one of her most successful singles.
- Gentiles 40 years
- Kennedys Maria Shriver Arnold Schwarzenegger
- Leslie Uggams
- Queens are better to open
If catty were a pefrume, you'd reek of it. — Karen, To Jack