Dolls and Dolls is the 21st episode of the fifth season, and 113th overall.
Trying out ordinary things she never gets to experience as a rich socialite, Karen answers the ad for a roommate and moves in with an office manager named Liz. Both eccentric and outlandish, they begin to bond. However after finding out they like the same guy, Liz throws Karen out shortly before finding out that the apartment is owned by Walker Property Management i.e. Karen.
Hooked on the junk
After falling on his clogs, Will is prescribed painkiller medicine. Grace and Jack notice that Will is starting to behave unusually lax and concludes that he is addicted to the medicine. They hide away his pills and try to perform and intervention but Will sneaks away while pretending to get the newspaper.
After Will comes back, Grace makes him realize that he is not himself because he does not act in an obsessive-compulsive manner like he used to, and that he had called his mom back--something he normally never does.
- Eric McCormack (Will Truman)
- Debra Messing (Grace Adler)
- Sean Hayes (Jack McFarland)
- Megan Mullally (Karen Walker)
- Liz's scene with Will, Jack and Grace was deleted but are available in the DVD.
- Megan Mullally has stated that during shooting, Madonna did not know the cast's names except hers (Mullally's), instead referred to the others by their character's names.
- Title is a play on the 1955 musical Guys and Dolls with an allusion to "dolls" being a slang term for prescription drugs.
- Grace refers to Will as Miss Taylor, a strict villain in the film Pete's Dragon.
- When Grace mentions that Will "gotta get off, gonna get off this merry-go-round", she alludes to the Valley of the Dolls theme sung Dionne Warwick. The film also tackles addiction to prescription drugs.
- Karen refers to Liz as Lizzie Boredom, after axe murderess Lizzie Borden.
- When Jack meets Liz, he tells her that as a gay man, he is "oddly attracted" to her, alluding to Madonna's gay icon status.
Ooh, crack whores are sneaky! — Grace, after Will tried to trick them
|Liz:||You are going to get me into so much trouble.|
|Karen:||If you're lucky.|
|Karen:||Like a fox.|
|Liz:||I doubt it.|
|Liz:||Don't I ever.|
|Karen:||You and what army? Ha ha ha ha!|