Girls, Interrupted is the 20th episode of the second season and the 42nd overall.
Welcome Back Homo
While at the club, Jack receives a flyer from a handsome guy named Bill inviting him to come to his gay conversion therapy group. Believing he has a shot with Bill, Jack asks Karen to go to the group's meeting pretending to be a converted couple.
Bill soon catches on Jack's agenda and reaffirms to everyone in the meeting that Welcome Back Home is not a "gay pick-up joint" and everyone who thinks otherwise should leave. After everyone but Jack and Karen leaves, Bill gives up and agrees to shower with Jack, as long as it's a "it's a heterosexual soap-down".
Grace unexpectedly spends a fun girls' night at her apartment with Val. However, after Val leaves she notices that her music box is missing. When Will asks if she thinks Val stole it, Grace refuses to believe it since she is now in good terms with Val.
The next day, a completely paranoid Grace devices a plan so she and Will could break into Val's apartment under the pretense of checking out a gas leak. Unfortunately for Grace, they find her music box, proving Val did in fact stole it. When Val comes home and catches them, Grace confronts her and the two end up again in a violent fight which injures Will in the crotch.
- Eric McCormack (Will Truman)
- Debra Messing (Grace Adler)
- Sean Hayes (Jack McFarland)
- Megan Mullally (Karen Walker)
- Molly Shannon (Val Bassett)
- Neil Patrick Harris (Bill)
- Marianne Muellerleile (Jodie)
- Loren Freeman (Kevin)
- Grace has Val's key because she was elected president of the tenants' association in the episode Election.
- Val's second appearance since the episode Grace, Replaced.
- Val appears to have moved from 15F to 12E (which actually makes more sense, given that 155 Riverside Drive is a 12-story building).
- The Christian organization "Focus on Family" objected to this episode, stating that it "made a mockery of the struggles of ex-gay men and women."
- Will mentions that he got hit on at the club by a guy named Beverly. Later on, we are introduced to Karen's closeted frenemy Beverley Leslie.
- Although Neil Patrick Harris has acknowledged being bisexual around the time the episode first aired, he will not publicly come out as gay until six years later in 2006.
- Will tells Grace that she is not invited to the club because they are having a "He-Man Woman Haters Club" from the film The Little Rascals (1994).
- Grace's music box plays the Jewish folk song Hava Nagila, the traditional song for celebrations. It means "Let's rejoice" in Hebrew.
- Val sings to the music box with "begosh and begorrah" and "my Irish eyes", playing on stereotypical Irish phrases and the patriotic Irish song When Irish Eyes Are Smiling.
- Jack says "Patience, Clarice" to Karen to calm her down, after Hannibal Lecter's famous line in the film The Silence of the Lambs (1991).
I love gay bars. I always go to gay bars. Not a gay bar in town I haven't been to with you guys. Ok, just figured out why I'm alone and dateless on a Saturday night. — Grace
|Will:||No, we're going to a club.|
|Jack:||It's all you can eat after midnight.|
|Will:||I didn't know they served food.|
|Jack:||Tonight I met the one—the man I wanna spend the rest of my life with.|
|Karen:||Hey! There's only one man in your life. And her name is Rosario, and don't you forget that.|
Honey, this is a cult! Yeah. Like the Moonies or the homeless. Yes. They're trying to make gay people straight! Good Lord! Don't they know what that'll do to the fall line? — Karen
|Karen:||It's a waste of time. All right? It's like exercise or reading to your kids. The man thinks he's straight.|
|Jack:||There are no straight men, only men who haven't met Jack.|
It looks like your new sweetie has turned his back on homosexuals.
And not in the good way. — Karen
Okay, I have to say something here. The back-slapping and the head-rubbing was one thing, but the ear-blowing and the butterfly kisses are not standard NBA practice. — Bill, suspicious of Jack
Great. Give me a minute to get my black leotard and suction cups, and I'll meet you on the side of the building. — Will, planning to break in Val's apartment
|Will:||This is breaking and entering! We can't go to prison. We're too pretty!|
|Grace:||Relax. I'm the president of the Tenants Board. I'm allowed to go into any apartment in which I suspect a gas leak.|
|Will:||But you don't suspect a gas leak.|
|Grace:||Man, you're not gonna last two minutes in the slam.|
|Will and Grace:||Surprise!|
|Val:||Wow. What are you two doing here?|
|Grace:||We thought you had a gas leak.|
|Val:||Then why did you yell, "surprise"?|
|Will:||Well, we didn't say it was a nice surprise.|
Just because they stop being gay doesn't mean that they have to stop having taste! — Karen, at the converts meeting
Honey, was that two men or two women? — Karen
Oh, my god, listen to me. I'm a funny lesbian. I'm Ellen! — Karen