Love Plus One is the 6th episode of the third season and 52nd overall.
An old boyfriend of Grace's named Nicholas comes into town with his new girlfriend and asks Grace to join them for a threesome. When Will and Karen laugh at the thought of Grace in a three-way, she decides to go through with it, but backs out at the last minute. Jack, working his new job at Banana Republic, meets a gorgeous man who is such a "smarty" that he can't approach him. Jack uses Will for a Cyrano de Bergerac move and lets Will's words come out of his mouth. Jack soon realizes that his target, Matthew, is boring to him, and Matthew soon realizes that Will is just his type and gives the embarrassed lawyer his card.
- Eric McCormack (Will Truman)
- Debra Messing (Grace Adler)
- Sean Hayes (Jack McFarland)
- Megan Mullally (Karen Walker)
- Patrick Dempsey (Matthew)
- Jeremy Piven (Nicholas)
- Maria Pitillo (Paula)
- Eric Roth (Sales Guy, Scott)
- Will Hall (Man)
- Hope Shapiro (Woman)
- This is the first appearance of Matt, who would later become Will's boyfriend.
- After learning that Matt works in television, Jack asks him if he was responsible for Willow's lesbianism in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- After Will and Jack's plan has been spoiled, Matt comes in to talk to Will and tells him, "You and Jerry Lewis need to work on your act," likening them to the popular comedy duo during the 1950s Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis. Interestingly, Sean Hayes would later play the actual Jerry Lewis in the biopic film Martin and Lewis (2002) where he was nominated for a SAG Award.
You know what? Not only am I the kind of person who would do a three-way, I'm the kind of person who's going to do a three-way. So say good-bye to Prudence McPrude, and say hello to Slutly Slutenstein. — Grace
|Jack:||I need your help, Will. I figured out what it is about him that scares me. He's a smarty. I heard him on his cell phone using big words like "particular" and "delicatessen." I need you to make me smart.|
|Will:||Alright. I'll need a mad scientist, two electric switching helmets, and a willing monkey.|
|Nicholas:||It's been a long time.|
|Grace:||Yeah, it has. Even longer, since you were supposed to be here 20 minutes ago.|
|Nicholas:||What are you talking about? You said "1:20."|
|Grace:||I said 1:00. Who says "meet at 1:20?"|