Secrets and Lays is the seventeenth episode of the first season.
The gang roughs it in Karen's Vermont cabin in order to take Will's mind off what would have been his anniversary with his ex-boyfriend, Michael. Grace rekindles a romance with an old high-school flame and tries to hide the fling from Will. Meanwhile, Karen's culinary efforts go up in smoke, as does Jack's attempt to cheer Will by dragging him to a gay pub.
- Eric McCormack (Will Truman)
- Debra Messing (Grace Adler)
- Sean Hayes (Jack McFarland)
- Megan Mullally (Karen Walker)
- David Sutcliffe (Campbell)
- Paul Gutrecht (Bartender)
- The descriptions for this episode listed guest star Tom Bosley as "the town barber-turned-hair stylist" who Will and Jack meet at the pub after ordering their drinks. Apparently, his scene was edited out because it just wasn't funny.
- This is the first episode where Gary Grubbs is not listed in the opening credits.
- This episode aired after the "Big Brother is Coming" 2-parter. Will and Grace act like Grace hasn't dated anyone since Danny, but she was with Will's brother Sam. This is most likely due to the fact that the episodes were aired out of order rather than a problem with continuity.
- The song that plays at the end of the episode is "How's It Going To Be" by Third Eye Blind.