Smitty is a bartender.
He is usually seen serving Karen. Whenever she laments about a sad event in her life, he tells her a much sadder event that happened in his childhood, which prompts Karen to laugh hysterically.
- Tea and a Total Lack of Sympathy
- A.I.: Artificial Insemination
- Sex, Losers & Videotape
- Sour Balls
- I Second That Emotion
- Whatever Happened to Baby Gin?
- Rosario's Quinceañera
- His mother was shot to death in front of him when he was twelve.
- He had a sister who died in a fire, and another sister who died in a tornado.
- His wife died on Christmas Day.
- He later becomes almost deaf, which Karen finds hilarious.
- In "Tea and a Total Lack of Sympathy" he is played by David St. James. Otherwise, he is played by Charles C Stevenson.
- "Smitty" is a name Karen uses ubiquitously for all bartenders, even those who aren't Smitty. In "Husbands and Trophy Wives", she refers to the bartender at the yacht club by this name to which he replies, "...My name is not Smitty."
I had a sister. But when the tornado came, we'd already boarded up the cellar door. She hung on to the pick-up as long as she could... We found her top of the school. — Smitty
|Karen:||Smitty, do you ever think about giving up? You know, just ending it all?|
|Smitty:||Funny you should ask. Tonight is the anniversary of the fire that killed my identical twin, and I've never felt more alone.|
|Karen:||[LAUGHING] Ha ha! Now how is it that you're tending bar and Jimmy Kimmel has his own show? It's just not right.|